Had another panic attack today

It wasn't the first, and probably not the last. I never blogged about it before, but I felt the need to write it down. Maybe it'll help. Maybe someone out there with the problem will happen upon this and decide to seek help.

There's a lot of stigma with this sort of a problem. You are judged to be weak, crazy, unstable. Perhaps a bit I am unstable, but I'm not weak. Some days my brain is screaming at me to not do regular stuff. Don't leave the flat, don't eat. Yet I have to do these, so I gather myself, and do them anyway. That takes more strength than I've ever known before this ordeal.

How did it start? It doesn't seem to have a trigger. I can't tell you one thing. It could have been something with an electric bug repellent that I tried that day. Or I was really sick and that changed something. Or I've been alone a lot, and feeling lonely. Nearing 30 and single. As you see, I really have no idea. All I know is that one minute I was fine, then was struggling for breath, heart hammering, sweaty, shaking, and I was sure that somehow I poisoned myself with the bug repellent. I even called the emergency like 5 times. They told me they won't come, I should go to a doctor in the middle of the night, by myself, feeling like I was dying. I begged, I was so scared. I had no idea what was happening.

It passed by morning, but left me feeling weak and sick. Maybe I was sick a bit, and that was the trigger.
It didn't repeat for months. Then I broke a glass bottle near some food that I was going to eat. I got obsessed with looking for shards. I had to throw the food out, and was panicking for hours. I didn't know that food would be connected to my panic attacks in the future.

Then I went to Rome. The plane left very early, and I hardly slept anything. I was panicking in my hotel room all day. I still didn't know what it was exactly. But being tired would be another trigger.


I'm not sure when I realised that I was suffering from anxiety. The attacks came more frequently, and I started to avoid certain foods. I started to think that my food was poisoned. Intentionally or not. Once I got the idea, I couldn't let it go. I broke down and told my mum when I realised that when I left home for my apartment in another city, I was paralysed with fear of having another attack and being alone. I realised I had to figure out a way to make it better. I struggled alone for a year. I couldn't do it anymore. It was just getting worse. I felt like such a loser. Like I was a disappointment again. I used to be this calm, together person, and I wasn't anymore.

I've never been completely healthy. As a small child I was sick a lot. It got better as I was growing up. Then they discovered that my brain was injured when I was born, and the reason why I always thought that I was awful when it came to physical stuff, was because my brain was injured, and it made coordinating my left side difficult. I also got a hip injury later, and that also caused permanent damage. My knees hurt because of that. After that, my thyroid glands stopped working, and I developed lactose intolerance. I was working around all of these, and it wasn't easy. Some even called me a hypochondriac. Maybe they were right, but I did have genuine problems. 

When the panic attacks were coming, it was another problem. One too many. I didn't want people to think I was crazy.  I tried to ignore it. Wasn't working.


So I broke down and told mum. That lead me to wanting to figure out how to find help. I realised I couldn't do it just by myself. So a couple of months later I started seeing a kinesiologist. It does help, but I know that it'll take a while.

Meanwhile, my food issues got worse. I realised that often when I heard bad news was over eating. My weight issues didn't help either. So for a month, I stopped eating anything that was a trigger. Sugar seemed especially bad, so I switched over to cane sugar.

I also stopped watching the news. Often the way people died made me think of ways I could die. For some reason on the news they never had interesting stuff, just accidents and stabbings. Not useful anyway.

I think I am getting better. I got down to my dream weight, and it boosts my confidence. Work sucks, but I'm going to do some courses that may help in changing my career. I also want to go work with weights, so maybe I'll meet some guys there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online dating, Reading, Scotland

Belly Dancing Event, Old Pics and ARASHI

A lot of things happened besides being sick again